Friday, February 15, 2013

1st letter from the MTC

To Family,

Hey there...everything is going great.  Long days, good food, blah, blah, blah that stuff is not really important.  What is important is that I like my companion and I like my district.  A little bit about my companion, he is from Idaho a small town south of Boise.  He is twenty and a very nice guy.  I am glad I get to have him for the duration of the MTC.  He looks a little like Steve Buscemi; I do not tell him that in case he doesn't think it is a compliment but once you get him to open up he won't stop talking.  He is awesome and I enjoy serving with him.  I absolutely love my district; it consists of 6 elders and 6 sisters.  My comp and I are going to Tulsa and two of the sisters are going to Tulsa.  We have one sister going to Scotland and she is waiting on her visa then she will go to the England MTC.  There is one elder who is heading to NY, NY North mission.  Everyone else is going to Kennewick Washinton.  Not sure how to spell Kenniwick but that is where they are going. 

Some interesting facts:  on Wednesday when I arrived I was one of eight hundred new missionaries a number which is regarded as one of the highest new missionary counts in history.  The MTC has currently been able to hold 3,000 missionaries and we are currently at 3200 and will probably be at 3600-3700 missionaries by next Wednesday.  The English speaking elders and sisters that came in Wednesday re the first to have a 2 week MTC this includes me.  Enough about facts, I will tell you more about my district.  The six elders are me, Elder Martin, Elder Parker, Elder Sprurub, Elder Taylor and Elder Wallace.  I absolutely love the elders, they are fun to be around.  The sisters are alright but every time we get distracted and have fun they stop us.  I guess this is a good thing but very annoying all the same.  Whatever it's all good in this holy neighborhood.  My first day was so long with about ten minutes of sleep I knew it was going to suck, but it ended up being a good thing because that night I slept like a baby Seth.  Meaning it was good, I slept very well.  When I first got to the MTC I got my paper stuff and a funny looking hobbit-like Elder showed me my room and told me Korean bus stories.  I asked him if he had been to Korea he said that he was going to be there in three weeks.  How he heard the stories I don't know.  I found out that if you go to bed by 10:30 then it is easy to wake up at 6:30.  I though it was going to be harder to get up.  I think you guys told me that once or twice in my life. 

In all honesty, I have learned so much in these last few days.  Days are long and packed with studying because I leave in two weeks so we have to learn more in less time then the average missionary like Jared and Parker.  All is well and when the sisters aren't telling us to be quiet I am having fun.  Thanks for the last few letters; it was good to hear from home and have those letters the first days.  I can't wait to email for the first time and tell you more.  It stinks that the house is quiet when Parker, Jared and Katie were gone it was kind of lifeless also.  Tell hi to everyone for me and make sure you share this letter with everyone because I know how you like to keep them for yourself. 

Thanks to Katie (Jared and Mom) for the scripture covers.  I love them.  The guys all like looking at them and have asked all kinds of questions about the family.  They love my beard.

Peace and love,

Elder Heywood

No comments:

Post a Comment